|Children's Church School Classes|
Church School classes for children -- also known as Sunday School -- are offered during all three of our worship services:
Saturday nights at 5:00pm -- This class, called Kids Alive, is led by Lead Teacher Kathy Askins and it's our version of Sunday School on Saturday night! Children from Preschool - 5th grade will enjoy this multi-age, interactive class featuring Bible lessons designed to help kids build a foundation of faith. Kathy is assisted by parent volunteers; let her know if you would like to join the team. This class meets in rooms J1-2.
Sunday mornings at 9:00am -- We have two Sunday School classes for children during our 9:00am worship service.
- Preschoolers meet in the room around the corner from our Nursery in Covenant Hall where they hear Bible stories, enjoy simple crafts and activities, and have some time to play. Cara Reynolds is the Leaad Teacher for this class; she is assisted by Dori Basch.
- Elementary age children (Kindergarten - 5th grade) meet in rooms J1-2 for a multi-age, interactive class featuring Bible lessons designed to help kids build a foundation of faith. Leigh Powell is the Lead Teacher for this class; she is assited by parent volunteers.
Sunday mornings at 10:45am -- We have three Sunday School classes during our 10:45 worship service.
- Preschoolers meet in the room around the corner from our Nursery in Covenant Hall where they hear Bible stories, enjoy simple crafts and activities, and have some time to play. Lexie Hall is the Lead Teacher for this class; she is assited by Kailey Askins.
- Kindergaten, 1st, and 2nd graders meet in room J2 to learn Bible lessons from the Old and New Testaments and to gain an awareness of God's presence in their daily lives. Each lesson includes a craft or activity sheet and a take-home leaflet so their learning can continue at home. Lead teachers Elizabeth Dyson and Jennifer Fan are assisted by a team of parent volunteers.
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders meet in room J1 where they begin learning how the Bible lessons apply to their daily lives. Lead Teacher Chandrasen Soans (and his weekly volunteer) is adept at helping the children explore scripture and understand that their relationship with God is dynamic and personal, all while having lots of fun.
CONTACT CARRIE IN THE OFFICE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP WITH KIDS ALIVE OR SUNDAY SCHOOL! WE'RE ALWAYS IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS! 858.485.5840, X103.
Here are some other things you should know about our kids' classes:
- Nursery care is provided for infants and toddlers during all of our worship services. We have qualified, experienced, and loving childcare attendants who have all undergone a LiveScan background check. The Nursery is located at the end of Covenant Hall closest to the Sanctuary.
- Children start out in worship and exit to their classes after "Time with Children." Teachers are waiting in the Narthex to take the children to class, but arents of visiting children and parents of Preschoolers should escort their children to class to make sure they arrive safely.
- On Communion Weekends -- the first weekend of the month -- Preschool - 5th grade children return to the Sanctuary toward the end of the service so they may participate in Communion with their families.
- Parents are welcome to attend class (or the Nursery) with their children at any time and stay for the entire class or return to worship, whatever makes the parent and child most comfortable.
- Sometimes children prefer to stay in the Sanctuary to worship with their parents -- and that's OK at Hope! There is a basket of children's bulletins and crayons on the floor under the last pew. Ask an usher to help you find them, if necessary. The Wesley Room, located at the rear of the Sanctuary, is a place where families with active children can stay together during worship without the worry of disturbing worshipers around them.
- Hope is a Safe Sanctuary with a "Two-Deep" leadership policy. There are always at least two adults (or an adult and a youth) in each children's classroom, regardless of the number of children present. This ensures that your children are safe and receiving the attention they deserve.
- We welcome -- and rely on -- the involvement of parents as volunteer teachers and assistants. If you would like to volunteer in your child's classroom or with another age group, contact Carrie Jaquess, our Director of Children's Ministries, in the church office at 858.485.5840.